AFTERCARE INSTRUCTIONS FOR YOUR NEW TATTOO
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW TATTOO! ENSURING THAT IT IS PROPERLY CARED FOR AS IT IS HEALING IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS FINDING THE RIGHT ARTIST.
*Always wash your hands before touching your new Tattoo*
- After 1-2 hours, carefully remove the bandage. If it is sticking to your tattoo, DO NOT PULL. Dampen the bandage with warm water until it loosens. Do not re-bandage it.
- Using your hands, (washcloths are a bit too abrasive at this point of healing) wash the area with a mild, unscented soap. Dial works great. Make sure to rinse your tattoo completely so that all soap residue is gone. Pat dry with a soft cloth.
- Allow your tattoo to “breathe” for a while after washing to make sure that it is completely dry before applying ointment.
- Apply a small amount of Auqaphor to the area, a little goes a long way. Be sure to rub it in as completely as you would normally apply lotion. Wipe off any excess ointment. It should never appear slimey or sticky.
- Repeat steps 2-4, three times a day for the first week. After the first week, you can use a mild, unscented, lotion twice a day, or as needed.
Never soak a new tattoo in water. Showers are fine, bathtubs, saunas, pools, or hot tubs are not! If your tattoo is near your hands, be sure to avoid the dishwater too. Tattoos can go through some strange looking healing stages. The skin will peel and itch, this is normal. NEVER pick, peel, or scratch it. Removing that peeling skin before it’s ready to come off could result in loss of color or even cause an infection. Keep your new tattoo out of the sun. Avoid fragranced soaps and lotions until it’s healed. Everyone heals at different rates, the average healing time is 2 weeks.
**Remember** A tattoo is an open wound, Please treat it as such. Keep it clean, don’t let anyone touch it, and call your Doctor if you feel that you have an infection or any other issue that may require medical attention.